Friday, June 18, 2010

Ceviche (de soya).


Ceviche is a dish made with raw fish which is "cooked" with lime juice. Ceviche exists in most Latin American countries, each with is own variations. Most Mexicans LOVE ceviche, and it is very popular during lent, and also during the hot summer months.

Mexican ceviche is prepared using finely chopped fish fillets, and marinated overnight in the lime juice, in the refrigerator. Afterwards the the fish is put in a strainer so the excess juice drains from the fish.

Although fish is Mexico is relatively cheap (at least compared to other countries) making ceviche for a large family can be a bit expensive. So Mexicans, who are very adaptable people, came up with a variant for the fish ceviche: SOY PROTEIN CEVICHE.

Yes, my neighbor taught me how to make soy protein ceviche. I love it, my husband loves it, my kids love it. It is very cheap, and if you are vegetarian, there is no need to worry-no animal was harmed in the process!

Ingredients:
-Dry soy protein-I use the small piece protein
and the amount depends on how many people
Here I used 750 gms. which is about 2 1/2 pounds.
Remember it will almost double its size when hydrated.
-Limes- a lot of them, I used about 15 here.
-White onions
-Cilantro
-Tomatoes
-Avocado
-Salt to taste
-Tostadas
Optional:
-Chopped serrano chiles
-Salsa Valentina or San Luis




The first thing I do is re-hydrate the soy protein.
I put it in a pot full of water, heat it just
till it starts to boil, turn the heat off, and let it cool.



Here is a close-up of the hydrated protein.



Then I put it in a large strainer, and "wash" it.
I let the water run through it while squeezing and "scrubbing" it.
It has to be very well rinsed, till the water runs almost clear.
Then it has to be drained of all the excess water,
I usually squeeze it, and then leave it in the strainer a while.



In the meantime I squeeze the limes, and chop
everything that is going to be added.



After the protein is drained, I add the lime juice, chopped onions...



Chopped cilantro and serrano chiles (optional) .....



Chopped tomatoes....



Mix everything very well adding salt to taste...



And this is what the finished stuff looks like.
You can put it in the fridge a few minutes,
and it will taste even better.




Mmmm, I love this dish.


The tostadas, and salsa San Luis.



At this point the avocado is sliced and put on top.
There is no avocado here because I forgot to buy some.



Great summer dish. Very cheap and tasty.
If you get to make some, let me know how it came out.

Hope you have a great weekend, and just in case I can't post tomorrow, have a Happy Father's Day!

14 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Angie,
Where do you buy the dry soy protein? What's it called?

Angie said...

Bob, last time I bought a package at Soriana Jacarandas. It can also be bought by kilo at Mercadito de Guerrero, on Torres Landa Ave.
I ask for it as "soya texturizada". If you can't get it let me know. I'l get it for you.

Unknown said...

yummmi. wanna be with you guys. not online to eat up your ceviche... muchos besos. Hay que platicar algun dia en skype. muchos ambrazos a todos.

Anonymous said...

Yoohoo, I miss you, Angie! Is school out? Maybe you're traveling...

Unknown said...

Angie
Why does the soya need to be well drained until the water comes out clear? For taste? Doesn't it loose nutritive value when doing this?
Lupe

Unknown said...

Angie
Why does the soya need to be drained well?

dakotagypsy said...

Hey Angie thanks alot... I spent 6 months in Nayarit a few years back and my hosts made this dish often. I have recently bought some dry soya and wanted to be refreshed on the recipe. You hit it on the head..just like there's. Thanks so much..I just had it for lunch today..

Angie said...

Guadalupe, sorry I've taken so long to answer this!!
The reason for rinsing the soya is for taste. It will taste a bit gritty if you don't. I don't think it looses the nutritive value, what is being rinsed out is the "powdered" bits of soya. It's like the powdered corn flakes that are left behind at the bottom of the cereal box.
Hope this is helpful

Unknown said...

Where can I buy the right soya in the States? Los Angeles California 2 b exact. thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks Angie for this simple yet delicious recipe.I was searching for this recipe for he longest time. Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

Thanks Angie for posting this simple yet delicious recipe. I was searching for this recipe. Thanks again

Unknown said...

How many calories it's an soya with nothing ,just garlic ,thanks

Unknown said...

How many calories are in the soya ,with just Galic

Unknown said...

Where can I found the soy?